You can find the course dates and the registration form for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course and Examination at the bottom of this page.
Topics covered in the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course
- Week 1: Factors influencing Style, Quality and Price
Consider the key factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine from vineyard to bottling.
- Week 2: Tasting technique
Learn to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Weeks 3-5: The influences affecting the wines of Europe
Learn about the key influences and how they produce the resulting wine styles in the key wine regions and districts of Europe.
- Weeks 6-7: The influences affecting the wines of the New World
Learn about the key influences and how they produce the resulting wine styles in the key wine regions and districts as well as the key regional grape variety specialties of the New World.
- Week 8: Sparkling wines, Fortified wines
Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of sparkling wines from the key wine producing countries.
Learn about the methods of production and the main styles of fortified wines from the key wine producing countries.
- Week 9: Revision
Revision & Examination Preparation.
How the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course is conducted
- The course itself is conducted online however you take your exam in-person in Dallas, TX.
- It is a 9-week structured online learning program. You can communicate with your instructor and classmates on an online platform during this 9-week window. Even after your course’s end date, you can access the course material for 1 year from your date of registration.
- You can contact your online educator at any time during your scheduled course dates using the online platform.
- The course modules should be followed in order, but you are free to complete the modules at your own pace. There are no set times to log into the course.
- During the course, you participate in student activities including weekly tasks, group tasting area, multiple choice feedback tests and videos. Each week includes a series of independent and/or group activities to guide you through the key wine regions of the world, looking at the factors in the vineyard and winery that influence wine styles.
- You will be advised to buy and taste a range of wines on your own. You can can post your tasting notes in the Online Classroom for review by the educator during your scheduled 9-week course.
This course is conducted online, however, you will need take the exam in person in Dallas, TX. WSET does not offer any online exam options for the Level 3 qualification.
Recommended study time for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course
Plan to spend 10 hours per week to study, cover the online activities and read the relevant chapters in the textbook.
How and when you take the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam
- You take your WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam in person in Dallas, TX. There are no online exam options.
- When you fill out the registration form (see below) for the course, you will be able to choose your set of course and exam dates.
- Your exam will take place at the indicated date and time at an exam venue in Dallas, TX and the address will be communicated to you approximately 2 weeks before your scheduled exam date.
- You are expected to arrive at the exam venue on the scheduled date and time with your photo ID, two pencils and an eraser.
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits Exam contains a theory and a tasting part. You must pass both parts to receive the WSET Level 3 Award Certificate.
- Tasting Exam: a blind tasting of 2 wines to be completed in 30 minutes. The passing score to pass the tasting exam is 55%.
- Theory Exam: 50 multiple choice questions and 4 short written answer questions to be completed in 2 hours. You must obtain a score of 55% on each part to receive a pass for the Theory Exam.
- The whole exam process for WSET Level 3 Award in Wines takes approximately 3 hours, including the exam instructions.
- You will receive your exam result via email approximately 10 weeks after your exam date. Receiving your certificate may take one or two additional weeks since the certificates are first sent from London to Dallas for us to mail them to your individual address.
The cost of WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course and Exam
The course fee of $970 includes:
- online tuition including interaction with instructors and classmates during your scheduled 9-week course
- online course access for 1 year from the date you receive your login credentials
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines study pack
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines online tuition
- WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Exam
How to register for the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course and Exam
- You must be at least 18 years of age by the time of your course start date.
- Fill in the form below where you will be prompted to select your course and exam dates. WSET London requires us to send in all student details at least 10 business days before the start of the course date. Please register at least 12 business days in advance of your course start date so that we have enough time to transfer your details to the London office. (If you are late to register for the course, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. We will need to get permission from WSET’s London office to accommodate you but it may be possible.)
- Within 5 days of your registration on our website, you will receive an email from us with your online access information for the course.
- You will have access to the course material for 1 year after your registration, however you can communicate with your instructor only during your course dates, and the course materials will become read-only after your course end date.
Please use the form below to register for WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online Course and Exam
FOR STUDENTS WHO DID NOT PASS A PREVIOUS LEVEL 3 EXAM:
Fees and requirements for Level 3 Exam re-take on a date where an exam is already scheduled
These rates are offered only to students who have taken the Level 3 Course with Dallas Wine Center.
Registration Deadline: At least 15 business days prior to exam date. After the registration deadline, all exam orders are final.
Resit Fee – Tasting: $120.00 (For students who failed a previous exam.)
Resit Fee – Theory: $190.00 (For students who failed a previous exam.)
Resit Fee – Tasting & Theory: $235.00 (For students who failed a previous exam.)
Postponement Period: Students have 12 months from the start of their course to sit the exam; thereafter another exam fee applies.
Private Exam: Proctor fees in addition to exam fees apply. Send an email to email@example.com to schedule a private exam and the related exam fees.