You can find the course dates and the registration form for the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Online Course and Examination at the bottom of this page.
Topics covered in WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Course
- What is Wine & How is it Made?
- Types & Styles of Wine
- Introduction to Tasting
- Grape Varieties & Wines
- Storage & Service of Wines
- Pairing Food & Wines
How the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Online Course is conducted
- The course itself is conducted online, however you have the option to take the exam in-person in Dallas, TX or online (at an additional cost of $35).
- The online portion of the course takes 4 weeks and you can login at any time during these 4 weeks to communicate with your instructor and classmates. You can access the course material for 1 year from your date of registration even after your 4-week course ends.
- The course modules should be followed in order, but you are free to complete the modules at your own pace.
- Course activities include weekly tasks, group tasting area, multiple choice feedback tests and videos. Each week includes a series of independent and/or group activities to help you understand the differences between grape varieties and types and styles of wine.
- You will be advised but not required to buy and taste certain wines on your own.
This course is conducted online. You can take your exam on one of the advertised dates below, in-person in Dallas at no additional cost. WSET now also offers the online exam option for Levels 1 and 2 at an additional cost of $45.
How and when you take the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Exam
- You can take your WSET Level 1 Award Exam in person in Dallas, TX or online at any location and on any date you specify as long as your system satisfies the technical requirements for the online exam.
- When you go to the registration page (see below), you can select your exam date along with your course dates. Your chosen exam date must be later than your course end date.
- In-person exams will take place at the indicated date and time at an exam venue in Dallas, TX and the address will be communicated to you approximately 2 weeks before your scheduled exam date.
- If you are taking the exam in-person, you are expected to arrive at the exam venue on the scheduled date and time with your photo ID, two pencils and an eraser.
- WSET Level 1 Award Exam contains 30 multiple choice questions to be completed in 45 minutes. The passing score required to receive the WSET Level 1 Award in Wine Certificate is 70%.
- The exam takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes, including the exam instructions and the 45-minute multiple-choice test.
- You will receive your exam result via email approximately 6 weeks after your exam date. Receiving your certificate may take one or two additional weeks since the certificates are first sent from London to Dallas for us to mail them to your individual address.
The cost of WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Online Course and Exam
Depending on the format, the course fee is $225 or $245 plus 8.25% TX sales tax. Please scroll down to the registration form to see the various options.
Wine is not provided in the online course.
How to register for the WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Online Course and Exam
- You must be at least 18 years of age by the time of your course start date.
- Click the button below and follow the instructions to select your course and exam dates. Please register at least 12 business days in advance of your chosen course start date so that we have enough time to transfer your details to the London office.
- Within 5 days of your registration on our website, you will receive an email from us with your online access information for the course.
- You will have access to the course material for 1 year after your registration, however you can communicate with your instructor only during your course dates, and the course materials will become read-only after your course end date.
Please use the form below to register for WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Online Course and Exam
Fees and requirements for Level 1 Exam re-take on a date where an exam is already scheduled
Rescheduling/Resit Fee: $110.00 plus tax (For students who took the course at Dallas Wine Education Center and failed a previous exam.)
Online Exam: $155.00 plus tax
Postponement Period: Students have 12 months from the start of their course to sit the exam; thereafter another exam fee applies.
Private Exam: Proctor fees in addition to exam fees apply. Send an email to email@example.com to schedule a private exam and inquire about the related exam fees.